Infected with a rootkit? I wouldn’t waste your time with rootkit removal tools (IMO). I had a client who was getting redirected to malvertised sites on almost every search. In case you didn’t know, getting redirected to a site when you’re searching means that you have a rootkit (TDSS). Anyway…I connected to the client remotely and tried:
- TDSS Killer. Wouldn’t load.
- Norton’s TDSS remover. Loaded but didn’t find anything.
- Bit Defender’s TDSS remover. Loaded but didn’t find anything.
- Hitman Pro. Loaded but didn’t find anything.
- Combofix. Found some stuff, but didn’t detect the rootkit.
- GMER. Detected MBR modification.