Cryptolocker was insanely successful. It extorted millions of dollars from home and business users. Like all successful software, upgrades were bound to happen.
Meet CTB-Locker ( a.k.a – Critroni ).
CTB-Locker stands for Curve Tor Bitcoin Locker. Here are some of the new features at a glance:
- Hides from authorities by communicating to command and control over the TOR anonymous network.
- Uses elliptic curve cryptography for encrypting your files. This encryption is a lot faster than cryptolockers, so once it get’s on your PC or mapped drives it has a better chance of encrypting more files, faster (doing more damage).
- Accepts payment to unlock your files via bitcoin.
- Blocking TOR traffic only prevents users from paying, CTB still encrypts the files.
Preventing and mitigating CTB-Locker.
- Install a good antivirus (like Kaspersky/Bit Defender). Keep it patched and updated.
- Install Malwarebytes Premium as a second line of defense. It’s only $25/year.
- Always install your Windows updates
- Backup your files daily to an external hard drive.
- Backup your files via something like Carbonite (if your PC does get hit by something like CTB call Carbonite immediately so they can freeze your backup).